The limited edition T-5R arrived from the factory with 243 HP, good for a claimed 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. 2,537 Cream Yellow sedans were produced worldwide with just 346 destined for North America. This particular example benefits from an upgraded air intake, performance exhaust, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, a Kenwood Blutooth radio and $3,500+ in repairs since being acquired by Cult Cars.
Standard FEATURES & Equipment
- Turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 20-valve inline-5, aluminum block and head with port fuel injection.
- Front wheel drive, 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive
- Porsche aided in designing some of the interior which features limited edition Alcantara seats
- Also included in the 1995 T-5R package was a front bumper with a lip, rear spoiler, side skirts, polished aluminum door sills, special graphite leather and Alcantara seats, and a black interior with deep walnut wood grain accents
Modifications & Service History
- Eurosport cat-back exhaust and open air filter
- Upgraded Bilstein B6 shocks, Eibach springs and 18" Volvo Pegasus wheels shod with 215 35 18 Continental all-season tires.
- Kenwood touchscreen head unit with standard T5R enhanced audio package.
What's not to love about the boxy shape and zesty yellow paint scheme. The 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R arrived as both sedan and a family station wagon. It packs a 2.3-liter turbocharged five-cylinder with an ECU tuned by Porsche for 243 horsepower, sticky low-profile Pirelli P-Zero tires came standard, as did a 0-60 time of just 6.5 seconds. And, it only happened because, the previous year, Tom Walkinshaw Racing had done the unthinkable, campaigning a pair of 850 wagons in the British Touring Car Championship.
With a sporting pedigree and success in the British Touring Car Championships the Volvo 850 made a name for itself in the late 1990's. This particular example is just one of 346 offered to the North American market in cream yellow. With factory front aero and unique 5 spoke wheels available only to this model, the T5R is a cult classic.
T-5R don't hit the market very often. When they emerge they tend to be garage queens or clapped-out daily drivers. Clean-higher mileage examples are trading in the range of $6,000-12,000. Lesser condition vehicles find a value range between $3,500 - 5,500.
Click Here to get in depth overview from garage Dreams on what to look for when shopping for one of these rare Swedes
learn more about how we grade vehicles HERE
Considering the car has traveled 180K the Alcantara seats are still supportive and well preserved. There are no obvious blemishes on the seats or dash and the interior appears to be in good overall condition.
The vehicle appears to have been painted at some point in it's hostry. From 10 feet away it looks good, but upon closer inspection there are different shades of yellow on the rocker moldings and hood. There is also a small area on the driver's side C-pillar where the clear coat appears to be
de-laminating. The hood is also showing a few minor rock chips.
The car starts up without any hesitation and drives flawlessly. The turbo produces boost throughout the rev range while the transmission shifts effortlessly between gears. The recently upgraded Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs provide a stiff but compliant ride.