1992 gmc typhoon
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Odometer: 100,000 MILES
Exterior Color: Red
Title Status: Clean
Availability: Test drives available by appointment
- One of 4,697 total produced and one of 345 Apple Red with Gray cladding.
- Currently located in Huntington Beach, CA
- Clean Carfax showing 3 previous owners
The Typhoon is the OG performance SUV and GMC built just 4,697 examples across two seasons before it pulled the plug at the end of '93. Using a single Mitsubishi TD06-17C turbocharger (pumping out 14 psi of boost), and a Garrett water-to-air intercooler, the electronic multi-point fuel injected V6 produced 280 horsepower and a whopping 360 pound-feet of torque. A four-speed automatic borrowed from a Corvette put power to a full-time four-wheel drive system. Car & Driver recorded a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds and described the Typhoon as: “An SUV like no other -- it's a two-door S-15 Jimmy at heart, but you could easily forget that by looking at it. Chunky 245/50VR-16 tires shoulder out from under flared wheel arches. A beefy air dam with fog lamps bulges in front. The sheet metal is Darth Vader menacing, and the entire package looks as if it had been dipped in a vat of epoxy. And then there's the Typhoon's stance: you've never seen an ordinary SUV hunker down on the road like this one (Car & Driver March 1992).
View the CarFax Report.
Maintenance, Upgrades and Invoices
According to the current owner, the rule of thumb for this truck was to only modify it if a part of the car broke or required repair, and the modification was actually better than stock. The following list of repairs and known maintenance items was provided by the current owner:
- Detailed maintenance records are available from the current owner
- Fuel log from the current owner is also available chronicling every fill-up.
- New Bilstein Shocks (The truck is sitting on lowering blocks as well, factory air shock in the rear are removed, pump still installed)
- Front and Rear Sway Bars from Beltech
- Sport Machines HD Front Drive Shaft
- K&N Intake Filter (filter element only)
- 1.5 DIN period correct Retrosound head unit (looks period correct, has USB, Bluetooth)
- Dash CAM with GPS logging
- ZQ8 short ratio steering box
- Custom catback exhaust fabricated by lead hardparts engineering at COBB Tuning, also has COBB Tuning muffler. Sounds fantastic and looks great.
- Window Tint all around
- At 100k miles, EVERY fluid on the car that exists was replaced with new
- New front brakes
- ABS Delete
- New front end suspension and steering refresh w/ ZQ8 steering box installed
- Recent Ignition service (SYTY's are known to eat through ignition parts every 10k)
- Dealer Installed sunroof (in 1992 when new) – fully operable
- New fuel pump
- Stock cats and all OEM emissions equipment present
- R12 to R134a air conditioning conversion
- Valve covers are leaking and will leave one or two drops when parked. This is somewhat typical of old GM valve covers.
- Worn valve stem seals - car smokes when cold starting, signs of oil dropping through the seals. On occasion, the car will have a rough idle at cold start and needs to be cleared out (done so by a rev-up to 2k or so to clear it out)
- Oil pressure gauge just stopped working.
- Trip meter has stopped working, but odometer still works without fault
- Head liner is slightly sagging
- Interior looks great, but some of the old 90's plastic does show weathering age
- Seat bolster pumps are disconnected. Fixable, requires seat removal and installation of new hand bolster pump lines (basically small vacuum lines, not a hard task just time consuming).
- Rear wiper sprayer is clogged (or possibly pinched, the flow is poor)
- Once per year I have to refill the AC refrigerant (very minor leak somewhere)
- The original paint still looks gorgeous, but, being original GM single stage paint, there are some places where thing paint is failing or has been slightly buffed through on edges from polishing
- The cladding is partially original, but looks to have the front and rear repainted at some point. A local detailer also used an incorrect product to clean the cladding, and drip marks are present from up close
- Small scuff on FR cladding edge
- Touch up paint on FL fender
Cult Cars Disclaimer
Cult Cars is a licensed Auto Dealer in Denver, Colorado. We are selling this vehicle on consignment for the owner who resides in Huntington Beach, CA. We convey vehicles with honesty and transparency but we're unable to physically view every vehicle we sell. Therefor, we cannot verify the accuracy of statements made by the owner regarding the condition of this vehicle.
Financing, Insurance and Dealer Handling Fee
Collector car financing and insurance are available through our preferred lending and insurance partners. Please inquire to learn more about our competitive rates. We charge a $299 dealer handling fee which includes temporary registration and all documentary fees.